Why book with AutoBlu?

Throught this website, you can book in a few steps your transfers with comfortable vehicles and professional drivers: we will come and collect you from airports, train stations, ports, hotels, your home, to take you directly to your destination. After received your reservation, we'll send to you a printable voucher and we will contact you to check the travel details.
Our Telephonic Customer Service is at your disposal.

How can I book and pay my transfer?

To book your transfer, just select the journey and specify all of the requested information on the website: our website will show you a total cost for selected service.
To pay for your reservation, you can:
1) Pay in advance with your credit card on our website just the 20% of the total cost of your booking: you will have to pay the remaining amount (80%) in cash to our professional driver at your pick up time.
2) Pay with your credit card on our website the total amount for your booking.

We accept the following credit cards: Visa, Mastercard and Maestro. If you do not own one of these credit cards, please contact our Customer Service by using the "Contact Us" button on the top of the main page on our website to know how to proceed with the payment.

Our driver will wait for you with a sign with your name on it at the selected pick up point.
We would like to remind you that our Customer Service is always at your disposal for any enquiry about your booking.

Can I pay safely with my credit card?

AutoBlu.Com offers a secure online booking system by using Gestpay, global leader in online payments, that provides an extra level of security to your payments: your transactions are monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by a dedicated team of security specialists.
Our website accepts major international credit cards
To book online one of our transfer, you just need to pay a deposit equal to 20% of the total booking.

Can I make a reservation by phone?

It is not possible to make a reservation by phone, but our Customer Service is available to help you during your online booking process. Just call us at (+39) 081.2488315, at the cost of a call to Italy.

How can I be sure to recognize your operators?

Our staff will welcome you at the airport, railway station or sea with a sign of recognition and will be waiting for you at no extra cost in case of delay of the aircraft, ship or train. 

Roma *ZTL: what does it mean?

The city of Rome is divided into 3 zones called ZTL (Limited Traffic Zone) A, ZTL B and ZTL C.
In every ZTL, an access tax is expected to be paid completely from the customer. These access taxes ARE NOT included in the fare shown on the website.
If you wish to know the exact amount of the access tax for the chosen ZTL, email us using the "Contact Us" button at the top of our home page BEFORE you make the reservation. We will reply to you as soon as possible with the current updated ZTL fare.

Why to choose limousine service?

Our limousine service is therefore the best way to transfer between locations, either for business or pleasure, in total tranquility, maximum comfort and in the most economical manner:

-- The vehicles are impeccably maintained for our diversified clientele, they come with standard air-conditioning system, the most modern comforts, and are all newly registered with the department of motor vehicles.

-- The chauffeurs are highly professionals trained to be punctual and discrete.

-- Our predetermined fees are the results of a detailed study of the needs of our diversified clientele.

-- The cars, have the paperwork necessary in order to be used as public service vehicles and as such are entitled to all the benefits given to other public transportation vehicles, such as access to ZTLs, i.e. special areas of limited traffic, access to preferential lanes, and exemption from local traffic blocks.